CNN CLARIFIES ITS TWEET ABOUT 38 NIGERIANS BEEN KILLED- 27th Nov 2020, 10:57am
Cable News Network CNN has come out to clarify its tweet on the number of deaths recorded in Nigeria from the #EndSARS protest.
On October 23, CNN Africa had tweeted that at least 38 persons were killed on Tuesday, October 20, when the military opened fire on peaceful protesters. This tweet was referring to the Lekki shooting incident. The tweet read
”At least 38 people were killed in Nigeria on Tuesday when the military opened fire on peaceful protesters But the President failed to address the carnage during his speech on Thursday, drawing criticism from protesters who accuse him of failing to show empathy & unify the nation”
The Federal government and the Lagos state government have repeatedly denied reports that mass killings took place at the Lekki tollgate on October 20. While the Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu insists that just two people were killed, the Nigerian Army says nobody was killed when its officers stormed the tollgate and opened fire.
DJ Switch who was on the ground during the shooting, said she and others handed 15 bodies to the Military after the shooting.
CNN in a documentary released last week insisted that the military opened fire on the protesters, an allegation, the Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed, dismissed. He called for sanctions to be placed on CNN for an investigation that lacked balance. Lai at a press conference said CNN has been inconsistent with its report of the shooting incident.
He particularly made reference to the October 23 tweet where the media house stated that at least 38 persons were killed. He asked the media house to authenticate its claim that at least 38 persons were killed.
In an updated tweet, CNN Africa has now come out with a clarification. It reads
”Clarification: This tweet from October 23 did not attribute the death toll from protests in Nigeria to Amnesty International. The tweet also did not make it clear that the death toll was for protests across the country.”